Friday, August 14, 2015

Mpumalanga

My time in Mpumalanga has unfortunately come to an end. I was blessed to have an amazing host family that treated me as if I was one of their own. I will still be working the team over the rest of the duration of my time here in South Africa and even once I've returned. We have established a team of seven in the area who will continue working on the project in the region as well as traveling to train others. The poets that I told you all about have asked me to come up with a piece.

Foreign

My eyes are foreign to these lands
But I can see that it is not that different
My ears are foreign to these languages
But I can hear the sincerity in your voices
My hands are foreign to the feel of barbed wire fences everywhere
But I can feel the deep wounds of time
My mind tells me that I'm foreign 
But my heart tells me I'm perfectly where I need to be right now

I arrived in Durban on Wednesday, and gave a presentation about the mapping project to students and staff at the Durban University of Technology on Thursday. The presentation went extremely well and City Architect Prof. Jonathan Edkins is starting to prepare a Crowdmap in collaboration with DUT students for future plans of the campus.  It's been great catching up with Andrew and Jessica and hearing of the progress of their project and exchanging stories on our time here. 

Uzinakekele - Take Care
Tyler

Training others


Elands River Falls


God's Window

Mpumalanga Youth Against Climate Change group. They got me a shirt!

Host fam

Presentation to DUT

No comments:

Post a Comment