Sunday, August 23, 2015

Hellos, Goodbyes, and Podcasts

After an awesome week in Durban, I'm back from visiting my colleagues from the Everett Program, Andrew and Jessica. They were exceptional hosts and took me with them everywhere they went, and introduced me to the community members of Kenneth Gardens all along the way. It was great seeing them in action with community members. From hosting tech workshops with elder leaders to help them set up email and navigate the internet, to hosting creative drawing sessions with the children. The city of Durban is absolutely amazing, and has a very unique vibe to it. I think I might like it too much.
Right around the corner 

Monkeying around in KG



Love Durbs



Following my return from Durban, I was off to Rustenburg to follow-up with the Digital Mapping group and conclude their month-long project. Thanks to the Everett Program grant and donations made to the project, we were able to provide Community Monitors members Steven Ramokhula and Buti Botopela with two tablets for an intensive mapping project that commenced on August 2nd. Their objective was to travel around their immediate community and map everything from top to bottom. The team knocked the project out of the park, and we now have a greater understanding and ideas of how to best utilize the information they provided and the resulting map. Sadly, it was time for me to depart the Rustenburg group this week. I take with me many wonderful memories.



I'm now back in Johannesburg teaching the Bench-Marks Foundation members how we utilize the map thus far. I will be working with the foundation up until August 28th. 

I would also like to give a massive shout out to Mr. Bobby Marie, whose work has deeply inspired me. Mr. Marie has taken some time off for a well deserved vacation, and by good fortune I was able to see him before him left. He is the bond that holds together the Community Monitors, and he does his extremely complex job incredibly well. Each month he travels between 7 different communities collaborating with young adults to build their skills. Bobby works with each individual to promote self-expression through writing, poetry, and podcasts. He treat everyone he meets as an individual and helps them see their own potential. He has housed me through all my travels and without his support and dedication this project would absolutely not have been possible. So, thank you Bobby. 


Did I mention I hate goodbyes?

I mentioned in a previous post that I would try to get up one of the poet's pieces and I was finally able to get it online. Enjoy!

Also, new editions of the most recent Community Monitor reports are now available here. I have a podcast interview in the Action Voices Radio July Edition speaking on the project.

Tyler

No comments:

Post a Comment