Thursday, August 27, 2015

A Luta Continua

Today is my last day of working with the Community Monitors and Bench-Marks Foundation here in South Africa. This has been a life changing experience for me to say the least. Far separated from the usual tourist experience that most get when coming to South Africa, I've spent most of my time staying with those on the other side of the veil. I am convinced that my time here has helped open my perspective in ways I hadn't imagined and I'm grateful for this.

Unfortunately, change is not something that can come about in 2 months time and I understand that it takes much more than a tool to achieve change. The institutionalized systems of Apartheid are deep-seated problems that will take much time and perseverance, but the struggle will continue. The people that I have worked with in my time here have made me hopeful of that in every way. We were able to complete a 3 phase project, make over 100 reports on our map, form a 10 person mapping team, as well as create a stable foundation and plan to continue after I've gone. In this regard, I believe my project has been successful.

There are many people to thank for this project. I would like to give a special thanks to the Everett Program especially Professor Benner, Katie Roper, Thomas Gelder, Donovan Thompson, Andrew Blackwelder, Jessica Crosby, and Priscilla Rios. Of course, the Community Monitors and Bench-Marks Foundation. Additionally, my family and Livani Yoakum have been supportive since day one and done whatever it's taken to help me achieve this. Thanks to family and friends we were able to donate a laptop, wireless modem/router, 2 tablets, a portable disk drive, and 2 smart phones (one for future Everett members working in South Africa.)

Sala Kahle
Tyler Spencer


No comments:

Post a Comment