Saturday, September 5, 2015

Jessica's Final Post

As our projects in South Africa have come to a close for this summer, I am amazed by the new things we learned, the inspiring people we met, and the unforgettable experiences we had. Being able to do this project has meant so much to me and I am so grateful to have partnered with the Urban Futures Center and to have worked with the wonderful non-profit organizations and community members in Kenneth Gardens.

While the main focus of this project was to introduce practical technology that would further the mission and capacity of these non-profit organizations, I am reminded that technology is meant to enhance interpersonal relationships, not replace them. At the end of the day it is the strengthening of relationships and dedication amongst the community members that makes the impact. I am humbled by being able to share some technology tools with these amazing non-profits, and to have been embraced by such loving and courageous people. They will always have a place in my heart, and I hope our paths will cross again.

That being said, there are so many people I need to thank for making this project possible (so bear with me!). Much thanks and respect to the:

Everett Program- Professor Chris Benner, Katie Roper, Thomas Gelder and the South Africa planning team- Tyler Spencer, Elizabeth Arzouni, Lili Sierra and my project and travel partner in-crime Andrew Blackwelder

Durban University of Technology Urban Futures Centre- Dr. Kira Erwin and Professor Monique Marks, Dr. Tamlynn Fleetwood, Dennis Ocheing of the Digital Media Archive labs and DUT IT department

Sezokuhle Home Based Care Organisation- Project Manager Khanyi Sibya, Treasurer Zethu Jali and the other members

Carrots and Peas Kitchen: Zandile Ntaka, Joyce Gunkle, Maggie Khwela, Thami Khoza and many volunteers

Finally, I would like to thank UCSC's Blum Center, the Everett Program and friends and family who so kindly offered financial support to make this experience possible.

Nogothando (with love),
Jessica
Andrew recording video and audio

Andrew and Tyler at Paradise Valley

Khanyi, Andrew and I at the clinic

Khanyi dressing me in a beautiful beaded headband, necklace and earrings

No comments:

Post a Comment